For years the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts through its volunteers, its community partners, its sponsors and its loyal audiences, has made a lasting impact on the local musical infrastructure.
The goal of the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts (WDCA) is to provide Wallaceburg and the surrounding area with the type of cultural performances that are usually only available at larger venues in larger cities. We work as a central hub for creating new partnerships among individual artists, organizations, and businesses in our community. We try to encourage artists both performing artists and visual artists to continue to develop their passion.
The Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts is also very proud to be a part of the reclamation of the Wallaceburg Concert Band. In the spring of 2016, the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts worked together with Band Conductor – Dave Babbitt, to make the revival of the Wallaceburg Concert Band possible. The Wallaceburg Concert Band operates as part of the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts.
More recently, the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts has assisted in forming an ukulele work group in partnership with Ukulele Instructor – Barry Betts and the Trinity United Church. Known as the Wallaceburg Ukulele Group and it along with its sub-group the WADUKES have both grown faster than anticipated. The WDCA is currently offering community lessons to those inclined to play the Ukulele.
In the past, the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts has also held several workshops for local singer songwriters, guitarists and more, these events have also been well attended.
The Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts has initiated and sustained an outdoor concert series for the last two summers, providing quality entertainment showcasing local artists and musicians, while offering the ten-week event completely free of charge to the community. The Outdoor Concert Series was held nightly on Tuesday nights in the Library Park – a beautiful setting along the bank of the Sydenham River.
The Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts continues to be dedicated to providing significant exposure for emerging artists and increased recognition for local experienced artists. We contribute to the economic, social and cultural growth of our community.
The AIM of the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts is to:
- Organize, promote and operate shows for local artists, annually or semi-annually.
- Sponsor the appearance of provincial on-tour performers in Wallaceburg and the surrounding area.
- The possible coordinator or clearing house for planned cultural events.
- Raise funds for the operations of the council and/or the events it will support and operate.
- Support in whatever way possible and appropriate local art and artists.
- Sponsoring, organizing and promoting, clinics and workshops for the benefit and betterment of local artists.
- Participate in the development and promotion and support of youth art and programs.
- The development, promotion and support of youth art programs.
- The publication of information of local art happenings.